Wednesday, February 1, 2006

...SO THAT WE MAY TAKE OUR LIVES FOR GRANTED

Dear Gabe,

As I sit here in front of my computer, a cup of hot, sweet coffee always within reach, I wonder what you are doing.  I go through my days without much thought of where I am or what I have.  I just live the way I always have in the relative security of my country.

Yesterday I was exposed to others who also share this country with me, and speak of a God, but who's interpretation of right and wrong, good and evil, patriotism and delusion are drastically different from mine.  While they have just as much right to their opinion and freedom of speech and they are protected by their religious affiliation, I wonder if they realize that their rights are protected by the very people they speak against.

We wake up in our cosy homes and are not afraid to step outside.  We drive to and from our houses on streets and fuss about weather worn potholes.  We don't have to dodge artillery craters or worry about IED's.  We have a set sleep pattern, we have days off and weekends.  We can go to the refrigerator and grab a snack at 2am.  We can call in sick and spend the day watching reruns on TV.  We can pick up the phone any time we want, and we don't have to stand in a line for a shower.  We can do our laundry every day if we want, and we can return to our cosy little homes at the end of each day.

We can do all of this because you and your fellow soldiers are keeping the war and terrorism at bay. You, and your fellow soldiers cannot, because you are keeping the war and terrorism at bay.  I believe those people are entitled to their opinions, but I do not believe they have the right to disrespect a fallen soldier and his or her family during a funeral procession. I don't know what God they worship, but I know my God does not love IEDs or hate soldiers.

So anyhow, thank you for making it possible for all of us Americans, even those wackos (just me exercising my freedom of speech) to take our lives for granted.

Miss you, love you, so darn proud of you!

Mom

p.s.: My God would probably disapprove, but I can think of a couple of places those wackos can stick those IED's that they love so much!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that someone would have the audacity to interupt a soldiers funeral procession.  How disrespectful and despicable. I agree with you Dorn about where to put the IED's.  Gabe any knowledgable American knows that our serviceman and women do us a great service and deserve respect....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

February 1, 2006 at 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Gabe and Family,
I just read through all of the entries and I can tell you what an awesome family that you have. I don't know either of you but I feel so close to all of you  through all of your mom's entries. I as an American want to tell you how proud I am of you for protecting my freedom. I am sorry that you have to be there and wish that you will all come home soon. Please don't pay attention to the media..almost all of America supports you and wants you to be safe. As I read the news over here I am sickened by what is happening to all of you over there. I want you to know that you are doing a great job and I have several friends over there also who are doing a great job to. I am glad to hear that you have heard from your son today what a great thrilling time for you  to be able to hear his voice. I can only wish your family the best and I wish for Gabe to be able to come home soon and safe. Thank you for the opportunity to read your Journal. What an eye opener for those of us who take advantage of life. If there is anything I can ever do for any soldier let me know. Thanks Michelle

February 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are preaching to the choir here!  I agree with what you said more than 100%!  I don't have a son stationed in Iraq, nor a brother or sister.  But, I had a husband and friends who fought in Vietnam (and never stopped hearing the negative end of that), I had a father who fought in WWII, and countless friends who have sons and daughters who are currently in Iraq.  
I hold all who are there in the highest of esteem and praise.  The war in Iraq, inself, may not be something that all people agree upon, but our soldiers who are there fighting to keep our country safe, deserve all the love and respect we can show them.
I salute them.. one and all!!

Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Waitingtoexhale/

February 1, 2006 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right.  They can complain because we live in a country that allows that and has men and women out their risking their lives for us to continue to have that freedom.

Thank you Gabe.  Thank you so very much.

Be well,
Dawn

February 2, 2006 at 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooooo proud of you too Gabe!!!!  Ü

February 3, 2006 at 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Quaker, and we are Pacifists, but we are also not stupid, and I realize that Bad People would quickly over run the world if brave young men and woman did not make a stand against evil.  I just wish we lived in a world where war was not necessary, but...this is the real world.....

February 12, 2006 at 5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Quaker, and we are Pacifists, but we are also not stupid, and I realize that Bad People would quickly over run the world if brave young men and woman did not make a stand against evil.  I just wish we lived in a world where war was not necessary, but...this is the real world.....

February 12, 2006 at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home